Monday, June 10, 2013

The Burning Man project

So last night I found myself wasting a couple of hours fascinated by the Burning Man website and watching subsequent videos on YouTube of the event.  Why?  I don't know, cause it was there and interesting?  But really, when I think about it, I recognize that it intrigues me so much because it represents the epitome of an 'adventure' to me.  It's mysterious, overwhelming, awe-inspiring and a bit uncomfortable - all things that I think are necessary for an experience to be an adventure.

Fire dancer in Black Rock City

Now, I'm not even contemplating going to Burning Man.  The thought of me at Burning Man is ludicrous - I mean really, I never go outside the house without at least mascara on, I hate being hot and the festival is in the Nevada desert in August, I don't do well with not being able to take a shower at the very least every other day, I hate porta-potties, I have an intense phobia of drunk puking (well, other people barfing in general) and I certainly wouldn't have the physical stamina to walk and ride a bike around a vehicle less town (well, except for the DMV - Department of Mutant Vehicles roaming the grounds - google image search them for entertainment, seriously).  And yes, I realize that last sentence was the stuff grammar police have nightmares about.

Duck mutant vehicle, revelers at night

But all that aside, reading about Burning Man has awoken a burning need in me for change.  For the need to add more excitement to my life and explore the world and people around me.  Hauling a weeks worth of water, supplies, food, bikes, tents, etc. across an arid desert to indulge in 6 days of uninhibited craziness and community may not be the best choice for me but that doesn't mean that I can't be inspired by the spirit of the festival.


Black Rock City at night - amazing that all of this is brought in and created on the site and when it is broken down at the end of the festival they leave no trace behind. 50,000 people leave no trace.  At all. 

My version of Burning Man will be exploring more of this fabulous city (and state) I call home.  There are so many things to do here in Portland and I've done approximately three of them in my past 31 years.  Boring. So while I may not be up for a crazy adventure, I look forward to the new things I will experience right here in my awesome hometown. Stay tuned for posts as I experience new things!









Burning Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment