Sunday, May 6, 2012

Salsa!


So last Friday was our Salsa Showdown competition at work in honor of Cinco de Mayo.  I decided to take a chance and try and make salsa, it was a risk as I have never even contemplated making it on my own... Pace was good enough for me.  :)  So I started perusing one of my favorite recipe sites, www.TasteofHome.com and reviewed a few different recipes trying to get an idea of even where to start.  So I used this recipe as kind of a model (with a few changes since I wouldn't be canning it) and made my own modifications.  

While I didn't win the competition I did place third in the mild/medium category and the second place winner only received one more vote than me and the first place only one more vote than her so really I was only two votes from winning.  ;)

This is just a small sample, recipe will make upwards of 8-10 cups at least


Here is my recipe for Smokey Mild Salsa:

  • 15 medium tomatoes (I used a combination of Hot House on the vine and Roma, diced and peeled if desired)
  • 1 green pepper (chopped)
  • 2 medium sweet onions (chopped)
  • 1 sweet red pepper (chopped)
  • 1 celery rib (chopped)
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced) or 2 tsp. pre-minced garlic from jar
  • 1 can diced jalapenos, drained (4 oz)
  • 1 can diced fire roasted mild green chilies, drained(6 to 8 oz)
  • 2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (14.5 oz), drained
  • 1 can plain diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
  • 2 Tbs. white vinegar
  • 2 Tbs. graduated sugar
  • 2 Tbs. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 teas. hot pepper sauce (I used Tabasco)
  • 1/2 teas. paprika (smoky Paprika if you have it)
  • 1/4 teas. cumin
  • 1/4 teas. chili powder
  • two light shakes of red pepper flakes (if desired)

Directions:

  • In a large stockpot cook the fresh tomatoes, uncovered, over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Stir in all other ingredients, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for one hour, stirring frequently.


As you can tell, I made it pretty chunky - simply chop veggies in smaller pieces to make a smoother salsa!


 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment